The Medical Area Health Service clinic is located in Vanderbilt Hall and is one of four HUHS locations where members of the Harvard community can receive health care on campus. SERVICES
- Primary care
- Sick visits
- Mental health services
- Specialty referrals
- Travel consultations
- Free prescription refill delivery
- Nutrition (during the academic year)
To schedule a routine or non-urgent appointment, please call the clinic directly during regular business hours. You may also speak with the triage nurse practitioner prior to making an appointment to determine appropriate care and treatment. HUHS will charge a fee of $25.00 for any missed appointments and any appointments cancelled within 24 hours of the scheduled time. WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
If you are experiencing symptoms of a medical emergency (e.g., chest pain, severe shortness of breath) call 9-1-1 immediately (9-911 from a campus phone). Non Life-Threatening Emergencies
During regular business hours, call the Medical Area Health Service at 617-432-1370. After-hours and weekend care for non-routine, urgent medical concerns or symptoms is available through the After Hours Urgent Care Clinic at the HUHS main location in the Smith Campus Center (617-495-5711). NEEDLESTICKS AND BIOHAZARDOUS EXPOSURE
- First, attend to the injury. For example, if there is a wound from a sharp object, wash it with soap and water and apply direct pressure if it is bleeding. If clothing is contaminated from a chemical, biological, or radiation spill, remove it and wash the exposed area. Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are available when laboratory reagents and chemicals are used and may be a useful resource for immediate care.
- Next, call to arrange medical attention. During weekdays, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, call the Medical Area Health Service at 617-432-1370. After hours, weekends, and holidays, call the HUHS After Hours Urgent Care Clinic at 617-495-5711.
- Dental and medical students who may have been exposed to pathogens via body fluid exposure should call 617-384-STIK (7845). This is a recorded message with the pager number of the HUHS on-call physician. Page the physician for advice in receiving immediate care and follow-up care for the exposure. Note, medical students who are advised to seek immediate care in a hospital emergency department should register using their Harvard University Student Health Program (HUSHP) Student Health Insurance Plan or other insurance. Do not register in the hospital emergency department as a hospital employee or you may be subject to a bill for the services.
Contact information for HMS clinical sites following possible body fluid exposure